Topics in Agricultural ScienceLen Academy Agric Science exam questions, JSS1, First Term Len Academy Agric Science exam questions, JSS1, First Term, part 2 Agricultural terms and definition, letters P and Q Agricultural terms and definition, letters P and Q, part 2 Len Academy questions for Agric Science JSS1, 2nd Term Len Academy questions for Agric Science JSS1, 2nd Term, Part 2 Roles of Government in Agriculture Agricultural pest, Crops attacked, their economic importance and control Agricultural Terms and Definition, I - O Agricultural Land and its uses
Academic Questions in Agricultural Science
All plants are crops.
TRUE or FALSE
ANSWER is false
All plants are NOT crops; for instance Iroko is a plant but not a crop. The correct statement should be “all crops are plants”. Please read the difference between plants and crops here
With regards to agriculture and plants, a pest is any organism that can attack plant and agricultural produce, rendering them unsuitable for harvest and unfit for the market. Pest can adversely affect a plant's seed, leaves, root, stem and flowers thereby largely reducing the overall quality of harvested fruits and vegetables.
Note: Generally, a pest can cause physical damage to humans, animals and crops.
An organism will be considered a pest if it does one of the followings:
1. Insects: Based on their mode of feeding, insect pest can be put into:
Note: cereals include crops like rice, maize or corn, Barley, millet, sorghum and oats.
1. PHYSICAL CONTROL: This process involves the physical removal of pest from crop plants via various techniques such as:
2. BIOLOGICAL CONTROL: This method of pest control require the use of animals or other organisms to eliminate pest. For instance, placing hen or chickens in farmland to eat insects.
3. CHEMICAL CONTROL: This involves the use of chemicals to control pest. These chemicals can take different forms (liquid, powdered and granular forms). Chemical control of pest may involve the use of:
4. CULTURAL CONTROL: This method requires the application of various farm practices to control pest. These farm practices includes
Amazing facts in Agricultural Science
NOTABLE POINTS IN Agricultural Science