Topics in Social StudiesGlobal Acronyms and their Meanings Nigerian Acronyms and their Meanings Meaning and Objectives of Social Studies Environmental Problems, Causes, Effects and Solutions Conflict, causes, consequences and solutions to conflict Self Esteem, Characteristics of self esteem and ways to overcome low self esteem Forms of Marriage Forms of Marriage, Part 2 Harmful Traditional Practices in Nigeria Factors that lead to a failed marriage
Academic Questions in Social Studies
First and foremost, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. In addition to this, each person has a variety of rights including the right to freedom of speech. You may read on human rights here. Our rights and opinions are one of the reasons why we have conflict in our world today. In fact, conflict has become a part of our society based on this very fact.
By definition, conflict is simply a clash of interest.
Also, conflict can also be expressed as a visible disagreement between two or more persons with regards to their opinions, beliefs and principle.
There are many causes of conflict. Some may appear to be amazing when we think about them; for instance, silence (may actually result to conflict).
Note: Silence can also be a source to conflict prevention.
1. Frustration: When one is frustrated, he or she is made to feel annoyed and impatient because they cannot do or get what they wish. As a result, they become irritable and are more likely create conflicts. If such frustration had occurred in a group, such person may intend to harm the group by bringing about conflict within it.
2. Misunderstandings: Conflict will likely arise when people have different views or opinions on how things ought to be done. For instance, if the leaders of a group decided to maximize their powers by taking decisions outside the guide of their constitution, certain members of this group may rise to oppose the actions of such leaders which could result into conflict. You can read on constitution here.
3. Difference in beliefs and values: We may have seen or heard about various ethnic clashes within a country or state; especially those having more than one ethnic group. Also, religious conflicts and crises emanate from the different beliefs of people. For instance, the so-called boko haram group in Nigeria have been a major source of conflict for many reasons, one of which is their zero or no value priority on western education.
4. Poor Communication: At every point in a communication, it is expected that one of the parties will have to be the speaker while the other will be the listener. When a communication where no one is willing to be the listener ensues, noise and conflicts are bound to arise.
5. Respect of opinion: Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and that must be respected, whether we agree with them or not. Some people will rather attempt to force their opinion on others which will sometimes result into conflict. We should also understand that everyone has the right to accept our opinion or not to.
6. Interest: In a family for instance, when the need of one person is placed over another, a conflict of interest may arise. For instance, if the wife constantly puts priority on the needs of the children before that of her husband, then, there is a likelihood of conflict in such homes. Please read our article on the reasons for failed marriages here.
7. Leadership: We cannot have two captains in a ship at the same time. In the 2019 general election held in Nigeria, a major political party whom is expected to win a governorship election in one of its states ended up being disqualified because they could not provided a single governorship candidate for their party. This happened because the party had a leadership conflict within its inner caucus.
8. Personality: Personality conflict results when we have persons with similar personality working together. For instance, when we have two persons with pride working together; personality conflict may likely result. Similarly, when we have two talkative in the same office, none may be willing to listen, giving rise to conflict.
9. Cheating in a relationship: In any relationship, when one of the partners cheat on the other, he or she is only inviting conflict into their relationship.
10. Vices: Vices in this case means evil, bad and negative behavior. Believe it or not, everyone likes to be treated in a good way. Sometimes people may even fight for others based on how badly they have been treated. Some examples of vices are hate, envy, stealing, pride, covetousness, slot and so on. Evil brings about chaos and conflict.
Conflict can be managed via two main ways. These are:
Below are some of the solutions to conflict:
Alfred Ajibola is a Medical Biochemist, a passionate Academician with over 7 years of experience, a Versatile Writer, a Web Developer, a Cisco Certified Network Associate and a Cisco CyberOps Associate.
THANKS FOR READING - Please Help Share!
Amazing facts in Social Studies
English is not the official language in 🇺🇸 United States of America 🇺🇸.
USA does not actually have an official language
The people of Iceland are called Islanders or Islandic. They actually have got NO railway system in their country
NOTABLE POINTS IN Social Studies
The United Nations has six principal organs or arms. These are
United Nations (UN) is the world body set up to promote peace and unity among the countries of the world. It officially came into existence on the 24th day of October, 1945 after it had been ratified by five permanent members of the Security Council and by the other 46 signatories. These permanent members are:
In total, the numerical strength of the United Nations at its inception was fifty one (51) States