Scheme of Work (Mathematics) SS1, 1st Term:
Topic: Number Bases
- Decimal base (Base 10) and other bases e.g. base 2(binary) base 7 (days of the week) etc.
- Conversion from Base 10 to other bases, conversion from other bases to base 10..
Topic: Number Bases
- Problem solving, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of number in the various bases.
- Conversion of decimal fraction in one base to base 10.
- Apply number base system to computer programming. .
Topic: Modular Arithmetic
- Revision of addition, division, multiplication and subtraction of integers.
- Concept of modular arithmetic
- Addition, subtraction and multiplication operations in modular arithmetic.
- Application to real life situations.
- Laws of indices and their applications e.g. a. ax x ay = ax+y b. ax/ay = ax-y c. (ax)y = axy
- Application of indices, simple indicial/exponential equations.
Topic: Standard Form (AX10n)
- Writing numbers in index form
- Adding two numbers and writing the results in standard form.
- Subtracting one number from the other in standard form.
- Multiplying numbers in standard form
- Dividing numbers in standard form including square root of such numbers.
- Deducing logarithm from indices and standard form i.e. if y=10x, then x=logy10
- Definition of logarithm e.g. log101000=3
- Graph of y=10x using x=0.1, 0.2,………..
- Calculations involving multiplication and division
- Calculations involving power and roots using the logarithm tables.
- Solving practical problems using logarithm tables relating to capital market.
- Explain the concept of capital market operation
- Use logarithm tables in multiplying the large numbers involved in capital market operation.
Topic: Definition of Sets
- Set notation – listing or roster method, rule method, set builder notation
- Types of sets: e.g. universal set, empty set, finite set and infinite set, subset, disjoint set, power set etc.
Topic: Set Operations
- Union of sets and intersection of sets complement of sets.
- Venn diagram
- Venn diagram and application up to 3 set, problems
Topic: Simple Equations
- Change of subject of formulae
- Formula involving brackets, roots and powers.
- Subject of formula and substitution.
Topic: Simple Equation and Variations
- Revision of simultaneous linear equation in two (2) unknown
- Types and application of variations.